In partnership with Lumen, we ran a bespoke research project to ascertain what it takes to get a viewer’s attention and, more importantly, how this can be converted to brand impact. By combining Lumen’s eye tracking capabilities with Ipsos MORI’s Connect:Digital we have established five key rules for honing your creative to get the most out of your digital ad spend.
Rules for strong creative:
- Look Don’t Read: ads that were recognised by over 65% of participants, with less than 4 seconds of dwell time, were designed to work without reading. Long build times and complicated messages are often missed or navigated away from before the main point is made.
- Big Bold Branding: ads that had a positive impact on purchase intent have up front branding, the less successful ads left it to the end. Boldness in brand colours, and a good sized and positioned logo aid recognition. Placing the brands distinctive assets in prominent positions that the user is likely to look to first improves the recognition of the brand and the likelihood of the messaging effecting purchase consideration.
- Get to the Point: ads with impactful messaging got to the point quickly, and didn’t assume that people would watch continuously, they delivered the message up front. Though all digital ad formats can provide brand impact, it is important to be mindful of how people view them. Banners are generally viewed for less time and less often, making a concise message crucial.
- Strong Visual Hierarchy: diagnosing where your viewer is likely to look and focusing your message there is more likely to lead to brand impact. If your ad is likely to be read from top to bottom, the top half is more likely to gain attention.
- Remember: viewability doesn’t equal attention, attention doesn’t equal brand impact. Good ads make their point quickly and clearly.
Ipsos iris: An online publisher pack
From January 2021, Ipsos iris will be the official source for online audience measurement and ad campaign verification in the UK endorsed by UKOM. To help online publishers understand any compliance requirements associated with the tagging element of this important research study, Ipsos MORI has produced an Online Publisher framework Pack.