The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) is the independent regulator for the nursing and midwifery professions in the UK, which account for a large portion of the UK healthcare workforce. Ipsos MORI was commissioned by the NMC in March 2016 to conduct an independent evaluation of revalidation for nurses and midwives. The evaluation follows the first three years of revalidation. Interim evaluations of revalidation were previously published in Year One and Year Two, and can be found here and here respectively.
This final report outlines the findings from the research activities undertaken across the three year evaluation period, covering delivery of revalidation from April 2016 to March 2019 and including evaluation activities undertaken in Years One and Two. The report provides considerations and recommendations for the NMC.
The evaluation used a theory-based approach to undertake an assessment of:
- the effectiveness of the process (Process Evaluation);
- the outcomes and impact of the revalidation process (Longitudinal Outcomes Evaluation); and
- whether the benefits outweigh the burden of revalidation (Benefit/Burden Assessment).
The evaluation activities took place between October 2016 and March 2019 and comprised:
- Consultations with the NMC’s key stakeholders.
- Analysis of monitoring information held by the NMC.
- A literature review of evidence surrounding revalidation.
- A context review of external factors which could impact upon outcomes.
- An online longitudinal survey of NMC registrants across the three-year period (receiving 35,981 responses in Year One, 11,242 responses in Year Two and 5,298 responses in Year Three).
- Case study interviews and stand-alone interviews with registrants who had completed revalidation, and those who had acted as their line manager, their confirmer and their reflective discussion partner (13 interviews in Year One, 22 interviews in Year Two and 12 interviews in Year Three).
- In-depth telephone interviews with additional confirmers and reflective discussion partners (25 interviews in Year Two and 8 interviews in Year Three)
- Interviews with former nurses and midwives who have lapsed from the NMC’s register (24 interviews in Year One).
- In-depth telephone interviews with employers of nurses and midwives (7 interviews in Year Three).
- In-depth interviews exploring the comparative benefit and burden of revalidation with registrants (24 in Year Three).
For further information on the evaluation methodology, please see the methodology section of the report. Data tables from the online survey of NMC registrants are also available and can be downloaded from this page.