With an increased choice in media options, devices, and platforms, the way people consume media is changing rapidly. As part of this media mix, podcasts are gaining in popularity with MIDAS (RAJAR's audio survey) data reporting 9.4 million listeners in the UK - an increase of 45% in the last year.
This appetite for podcast content is creating an opportunity for media owners, broadcasters, and advertisers. In our latest thought piece, Next Episode: The Opportunity for Podcasts, we use MIDAS and BBC data to explore podcast audiences to establish who's listening, where they are listening, and what they are listening to, to establish what opportunity they present.
- 71% of podcast/download listening hours happen on a smartphone.
- 30% of podcast listeners listen when driving/travelling, and 18% when relaxing.
- Londoners show the highest levels of usage, with 23% listening every week driven, no doubt, by longer commuting journeys.
- 59% of podcast listeners listen to the entire audio episode, and 62% listen to all/most of the episodes they download.
- 89% of podcast sessions are a solo activity.