- MORI interviewed a representative quota sample of 1,930 adults aged 18+ at 163 sampling points across Great Britain.
- Fieldwork was conducted face-to-face on 22-25 January 1999.
- Base: All respondents, unless stated.
- The voting intention figures exclude those who say they would not vote (11%), are undecided (6%) or refuse to name a party (1%).
- All figures are in percentages. Where percentages do not sum to 100, this may be due to multiple responses, the exclusion of don't knows or computer rounding.
- Data were weighted to match the profile of the population.
- An asterisk (*) denotes a figure between zero and 0.5%.
Q1 How would you vote if there were a General Election tomorrow? (If undecided or refused at Q1) Q2 Which party are you most inclined to support? - Base: 1,930
The voting intention figures exclude those who say they would not vote (11%), are undecided (6%) or refuse to name a party (1%).
Q3 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way the Government is running the country? Q4 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Mr Blair is doing his job as Prime Minister? Q5 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Mr Hague is doing his job as leader of the Conservative Party? Q6 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Mr Ashdown is doing his job as Leader of the Liberal Democrats? - Base: 967
Q7 What would you say is the most important issue facing Britain today? Q8 What do you see as other important issues facing Britain today? - Base: 967
|National Health Service/Hospitals Education/schools Common Market/EU/Europe/Single European Currency Unemployment/factory closure/lack of industry Economy/economic situation Crime/law & order/violence/vandalism Pensions/welfare security Defence/foreign affairs Housing Pollution/environment Drug abuse Morality/individual behaviour Poverty/inequality Inflation/prices Low pay/minimum wage/fair wages Race relations/immigration/immigrants Taxation Countryside/rural life Local government/council tax Nuclear weapons/nuclear war/disarmament Transport/public transport Beef/BSE/Mad Cow Disease Northern Ireland Pound/exchange rate/value of pound Privatisation Scottish/Welsh Assembly/Devolution Constitutional reform AIDS Animal welfare Trade unions/strikes Other Don't know||20 8 18 12 9 5 2 2 1 2 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 * 1 * * * * 0 * * 0 0 0 3 7||49 32 27 26 19 17 10 7 7 6 5 5 5 4 4 4 3 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1 1 * * * 8 7|
Q9 Do you think that the general economic condition of the country will improve, stay the same, or get worse over the next 12 months? - Base: 967
Economic Optimism Index (EOI) -23
Q10 Since it was elected in May 1997, do you think the government has or has not ... ? - Base: 967
Q11 Since it was elected in May 1997, do you think the government has or has not ... ? - Base: 967