- MORI interviewed a representative quota sample of 2,046 adults aged 18+ at 161 sampling points across Great Britain.
- Fieldwork was conducted face-to-face on 21-24 May 1999.
- Base: All respondents, unless stated.
- The voting intention figures exclude those who say they would not vote (11%), are undecided (6%) or refuse to name a party (2%).
- All figures are in percentages. Where percentages do not sum to 100, this may be due to multiple responses, the exclusion of don't knows or computer rounding.
- Data were weighted to match the profile of the population.
- An asterisk (*) denotes a figure between zero and 0.5%.
Q1 How would you vote if there were a General Election tomorrow? (If undecided or refused at Q1) Q2 Which party are you most inclined to support? Base: 2,046
The voting intention figures exclude those who say they would not vote (11%), are undecided (6%) or refuse to name a party (2%).
Q3 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way the Government is running the country? Q4 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Mr Blair is doing his job as Prime Minister? Q5 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Mr Hague is doing his job as leader of the Conservative Party? Q6 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Mr Ashdown is doing his job as Leader of the Liberal Democrats? Base: 1,014
Q7 What would you say is the most important issue facing Britain today? Q8 What do you see as other important issues facing Britain today? Base: 1,014
|National Health Service/Hospitals||10||33|
|Common Market/EU/Europe/Single European Currency||17||26|
|Unemployment/factory closure/lack of industry||10||23|
|Crime/law & order/violence/vandalism||7||18|
|Low pay/minimum wage/fair wages||1||3|
|Nuclear weapons/nuclear war/disarmament||1||3|
|Local government/council tax||*||1|
|Pound/exchange rate/value of pound||*||1|
|Scottish/Welsh Assembly/Devolution/Constitutional reform||*||1|
|Beef/BSE/Mad Cow Disease||0||*|
An asterisk (*) denotes a figure between zero and 0.5%.
Q9 Do you think that the general economic condition of the country will improve, stay the same, or get worse over the next 12 months? Base: 1,014
Economic Optimism Index (EOI) -1
Q10 If there were a referendum now on whether Britain should stay in or get out of the European Union, how would you vote? Base a: 1,014 Base b: All expressing an opinion (848)
Q11 Can you tell me how likely you are to get along to vote in the European Parliamentary Elections on June 10? Base: 1,014
Q12 If you do get along to vote in the European Parliamentary Elections on June 10, which party will you vote for? (If undecided or refused at Q1) Q13 Which party are you most inclined to support? Base: 1,014 Base: All certain to vote (313)
Q14 If you do vote at the European Parliamentary elections on June 10, do you think you will vote mostly about the parties' policies on Europe or about the way the government is running the country? Base a: 1,014 Base b: All certain to vote (313)