- MORI interviewed a representative quota sample of 1,823 adults aged 18+ at 155 sampling points across Great Britain.
- Fieldwork was conducted face-to-face on 24-27 September 1999.
- Base: All respondents, unless stated.
- The voting intention figures exclude those who say they would not vote (11%), are undecided (6%) or refuse to name a party (1%).
- All figures are in percentages. Where percentages do not sum to 100, this may be due to multiple responses, the exclusion of don't knows or computer rounding. Data were weighted to match the profile of the population.
- An asterisk (*) denotes a figure between zero and 0.5%.
Q1 How would you vote if there were a General Election tomorrow? (If undecided or refused at Q1) Q2 Which party are you most inclined to support? Base: 1,823
|Would not vote||11%|
Q3 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way the Government is running the country? Q4 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Mr Blair is doing his job as Prime Minister? Q5 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Mr Hague is doing his job as leader of the Conservative Party? Q6 Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with the way Mr Kennedy is doing his job as Leader of the Liberal Democrats? Base: 923
Q7 What would you say is the most important issue facing Britain today? Q8 What do you see as other important issues facing Britain today? Base: 910
|National Health Service/Hospitals||15||39|
|Common Market/EU/Europe/Single European Currency||13||23|
|Unemployment/factory closure/lack of industry||11||22|
|Crime/law & order/violence/vandalism||8||21|
|Low pay/minimum wage/fair wages||*||3|
|GM/GM (Genetically Modified) foods||*||2|
|Beef/BSE/Mad Cow Disease||*||1|
|Local government/council tax||0||1|
|Nuclear weapons/nuclear war/disarmament||0||1|
|Pound/exchange rate/value of pound||*||1|
|Scottish/Welsh Assembly/Devolution Constitutional reform||*||1|
Q9 Do you think that the general economic condition of the country will improve, stay the same, or get worse over the next 12 months? Base: 923
|Stay the same||40%|
|Economic Optimism Index (EOI)||+5|
Q10-12 Read through the list slowly keeping the Conservative / Labour / Liberal Democrat party in mind. Every time you come to a statement that fits your ideas or impressions of the party just tell me. You may pick as many or as few as you like. You don't have to be certain, just pick the letters next to the statements you feel fit the Conservative / Labour / Liberal Democrat party. Base: 923
|160||Con Q10||Lab Q11||Lib Dem Q12|
|Keeps it promises||5||11||7|
|Understands the problems facing Britain||14||32||22|
|Represents all classes||8||26||22|
|Looks after the interests of people like us||6||18||10|
|Concerned about the people in real need in Britain||7||26||20|
|Has a good team of leaders||6||25||10|
|Will promise anything to win votes||41||34||13|
|Out of touch with ordinary people||48||20||7|
|Has sensible policies||10||23||24|
|Too dominated by its leader||11||22||3|
|Professional in its approach||8||20||13|