Around half (51%) of voters think that ‘Yes Scotland’ has run the more effective campaign so far in the debate, compared to around a quarter (23%) who think that ‘Better Together’ has performed better. The remaining quarter of voters either can’t distinguish between the two campaigns (16%) or don’t know (9%). A closer look at the results reveals a number of interesting findings. Firstly, while those who would vote in favour of independence overwhelmingly think that ‘Yes Scotland is running the more effective campaign (80%), ‘No’ voters are much more evenly split. Only 36% of ‘No’ voters think that ‘Better Together’ has run the more effective campaign, only slightly ahead of the 33% who think that ‘Yes Scotland’ has been more effective. In addition 50% of undecided voters believe that ‘Yes Scotland’ has been more effective compared to just 14% who back the campaigning of ‘Better Together.’Mark Diffley, Director at Ipsos MORI Scotland said:
"With 100 days to go until votes are cast in the independence referendum the focus will increasingly be on the two campaigns to win over the remaining undecided and wavering voters. With this in mind these results will provide a boost to the ‘Yes’ campaign and give ‘Better Together’ food for thought. However, since the poll also shows a lead for ‘No’ in voting intentions, these results highlight that views on the effectiveness of campaigns do not directly equate to how votes will be cast."
- This presents the topline results from Scotland
- Results are based on a survey of 1,003 respondents (adults aged 16+) conducted by telephone
- Fieldwork dates: 26th May 2014 – 1st June 2014
- Data are weighted by: age, sex and working status using census data; tenure using Scottish Household Survey data; and public-private sector employment using Scottish Government Quarterly Public Sector Employment series data
- Where results do not sum to 100%, this may be due to computer rounding, multiple responses, or the exclusion of “don’t know” categories
- Results are based on all respondents (1,003) unless otherwise stated