The 10 key points include chapter summaries from the full Flair report, such as:
- Invisible recovery: Fear of recession looms as economic indicators turned negative at the end of 2018. Italians are responding in two contradictory ways.
- Consumption is not picking up: There is a slowdown in consumer spending, and household savings are increasing as Italians are being more careful with their money.
- The impossible community: A communitarian response is seen as citizens wish to protect themselves to the external threats of globalisation. But processes of individualisation create tensions within this community.
- The precautionary principle: There is a strong trend running counter to the prevailing sentiment which is highly critical of the Europe and the Euro: Italians would prefer to remain in Europe. Only 25% of Italians would vote to leave the EU if there was a referendum
- Identity and borders: The narrative around immigration has persisted into 2018 although the landings by sea have significantly decreased. We find fragmented public opinion on immigration, affected in part by the decade-long economic crisis.
- Make it easy: Simplification as a response to increasing complexity gives brands a new way to craft memorable messages. See the direct advertising campaigns of Ferrero and Zambon, for example.