Optimism and Anxieties during COVID-19 Outbreak
The outbreak of COVID-19 during the 2020 Chinese New Year (CNY) has raged all over China, and severely affected industries covering retail, food and beverage, tourism, hospitality, catering etc. Given changes in consumer behaviours and perceptions, how will the market structure be affected? As a result, how do brands act to respond?
In context of this, Ipsos has launched series of “Research on Consumers in the Outbreak” to analyse Chinese public opinion on COVID-19 and what’s the impact of COVID-19 on Chinese Consumers.
Key learnings we have from the research are:
- Public opinion on COVID-19: Whole nation is concerned about the epidemic. Chinese have high protection awareness of COVID-19. General public has high protection awareness. And 82% respondents have consciousness to wear a mask when they go out. Simultaneously, people show high enthusiasm for public welfare. 49% of them have taken part in at least one donation or volunteer activity during the outbreak.
- After the outbreak: People are optimistic about their life of the second half of the year. However, nearly half of respondents worry about salaries and personal development. And their attitudes to consumption is conservative in the near future.
- The impact on shopping: 76% people have reduced outings. During the outbreak, online shopping is the most popular platform. The consumption of healthcare, household food, online services and dairy products / beverages increase. The consumption of sports / apparel, offline activities, beauty products and services decrease dramatically.
- The impact on transportation: Nearly 50% of the respondents stay indoors for half a month during the epidemic. During the epidemic, people travel mainly on foot or by private cars. Online hailed cars and taxis are greatly impacted, and public transportation is seldom chosen. In the future, people will still reduce the use of public transportation. Rather, more will use private cars, which may bring a stop to the 2-year constant decline of automotive production and sales.
- The impact on healthcare: Health awareness increases. Influenced by the epidemic, besides previous healthy lifestyle such as sports, diet and nutrition, consumers will also adjust their daily habits for better health. After the epidemic, people’s awareness of protection has increased; 85% will recommend their parents to be vaccinated in hospitals.
More information, please contact email@example.com