Toronto, ON, July 21, 2020 – Canadian public opinion on relations with China is subtle and doesn’t align easily with the views of either the hawks or doves. We are uncomfortable with our level of reliance on trade with China and with the Chinese position on rule in Hong Kong. We also want Canada to stand up against Chinese government policies we disagree with but are concerned about the potential consequences to Canada of doing so.
A new Ipsos poll for Global News finds that eight in ten Canadians (82%) agree (35% strongly/47% somewhat) Canada should reduce its reliance on trade with China and diversify to other countries. At the same time, only a minority believes Canada can afford to suspend trade with the Chinese altogether: only 38% think (12% strongly/26% somewhat) Canada should completely sever economic ties with China.
Moderate Support for Trudeau Approach to China
Overall, a majority of Canadians think we are making the best of a complex and highly charged political situation: six in ten (62%) agree (9% strongly/53% somewhat) Canada is striking the right balance between cooperating with China and defending Canada’s interests, leaving 38% who disagree.
Slightly fewer feel as optimistic about the Trudeau Government’s handling of our relations with China. While a majority (58%) agree (9% strongly/49% somewhat) the Prime Minister is managing relations with China well, many (42%) disagree (15% strongly/27% somewhat). Trudeau’s approach is seen most favourably in Atlantic Canada (68%), Quebec (61%), Ontario (60%), and British Columbia (59%), and least so in Saskatchewan and Manitoba (50%) and Alberta (41%).
Standing with Hong Kong
Canadians favour our country taking a hard line on the new security law and standing with Hong Kong: three in four Canadians (75%) agree (24% strongly/50% somewhat) that Canada should do more to stand up against the Chinese government and defend the residents of Hong Kong against recent curtailment of its citizens’ liberties. Support for this stance rises to 81% among Canadians aged 35-54.
Taking a firm stand against China on Hong Kong isn’t seen to be without political risk. Canadians are split right down the middle on how to best to approach bilateral relations, given the potential repercussions. Half (49%) think Canada should be careful not to offend the Chinese government and risk further economic sanctions or other political reactions, while the other half (51%) disagree.
About the Study
These are some of the findings of an Ipsos poll conducted between July 8 and 10, 2020, on behalf of Global News. For this survey, a sample of 1,000 Canadians aged 18+ was interviewed online. Quotas and weighting were employed to ensure that the sample’s composition reflects that of the Canadian population according to census parameters. The precision of Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. In this case, the poll is accurate to within ± 3.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, had all Canadians aged 18+ been polled. The credibility interval will be wider among subsets of the population. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error, and measurement error.
For more information on this news release, please contact:
CEO, Ipsos Global Public Affairs
+1 416 324 2001
Ipsos is the world’s third largest market research company, present in 90 markets and employing more than 18,000 people.
Our passionately curious research professionals, analysts and scientists have built unique multi-specialist capabilities that provide true understanding and powerful insights into the actions, opinions and motivations of citizens, consumers, patients, customers or employees. We serve more than 5000 clients across the world with 75 business solutions.
Founded in France in 1975, Ipsos is listed on the Euronext Paris since July 1st, 1999. The company is part of the SBF 120 and the Mid-60 index and is eligible for the Deferred Settlement Service (SRD).
ISIN code FR0000073298, Reuters ISOS.PA, Bloomberg IPS:FP
Report on Business: Strategies from Canada’s Best B2B Brands
On June 17th, join The Globe and Mail for a virtual event showcasing Report on Business magazine’s first-ever ranking of Canada’s Best B2B Brands —developed in partnership with Ipsos— featuring business leaders sharing strategies to build trust and stand apart from the competition.
[WEBINAR] LGBT+ Pride 2021 Global Survey Insights
Join us for a complimentary webinar featuring new research insights from Ipsos’ LGBT+ Pride 2021 Survey – a global study of nearly 20,000 interviews of adults from 27 countries – and a discussion of their implications by a panel of experts from leading academic, advocacy, and business organizations.