KnowledgePanel has been at the forefront of conducting online research for more than two decades. Backed by scientific design, statistical rigor and sector expertise, it provides consistently high-quality measurement.
KnowledgePanel is the largest probability-based online panel in the U.S.—with about 55,000 members. Our research capability spans all industries from public health to commercial services and products. We have the most experienced analysts and online panel research team in the industry. And, with thousands of profile variables, we can reach all with the cost benefit of online survey administration without sacrificing accuracy.
With address-based sampling (ABS), KnowledgePanel provides a statistically valid representation of the U.S. population as well as many difficult-to-survey populations:
- cellphone-only households
- African Americans
- young adults (ages 15+)
Rigorous design, superior coverage, panel size and sound methodology make KnowledgePanel® the most suitable choice for a broad range of commercial, academic, and governmental applications.
The key design advantages of KnowledgePanel
- We address self-selection bias by choosing respondents. Our efficient sample design uses a single sampling frame: the Delivery Sequence File (DSF) of the United States Postal Service, covering almost 100% of the U.S. population.
- We address participant fatigue by ensuring minimal survey burden. Panelists take on average two KnowledgePanel surveys a month, minimizing respondent fatigue and attrition. Our research has highlighted a stark difference in the burden on KnowledgePanel members compared to opt-in participants:
Number of surveys in a typical month from all sources:
We would like to think about surveys you take online over the internet. About how many ONLINE surveys would you estimate that you complete in a typical month?
About 80+ percent of KP members only belong to KnowledgePanel. The same stat of solo panel membership for Opt-in samples is at 33.
- We address mode bias. Mixed-mode effects have been found with dual-mode online and telephone methods. KnowledgePanel provides non-internet households with a netbook and internet service to enable a single mode of data collection. The example below highlights the impact of mode on the responses of similar demographic groups:
- We address coverage of U.S. Hispanics. You no longer need to rely on expensive and problematic methods when conducting Hispanic research. KnowledgePanel Latino has reinvented research to meet the needs of the online survey age without sacrificing population representation and the sound sampling principles you expect. We uniquely cover about 93% of U.S. Latino households. This encompasses Spanish- and English-dominant and bilingual households alike, as well as U.S. Latinos who do not have access to the internet at least occasionally.
- We address non-response bias. We lead the online research industry in terms of the proportion of the respondent pool that actually participates in our research. This is partly the result of our efforts to “convert” non-responders.
- We can calibrate. KnowledgePanel Calibration meets the needs of studies involving either exceptionally large sample sizes or the targeting of very small subpopulations/local geographies. This blended web sample approach is an effective methodology when compared to conducting the survey exclusively with non-probability opt-in panels. When calibrated, the combined sample sources—KnowledgePanel and opt-in online samples—result in higher accuracy over the use of an opt-in sample alone.
We know our panelists. We maintain an extensive, multi-year database of more than 2,000 profile variables based on survey respondents. Updated annually, the database is used to identify unique subgroups that are otherwise unattainable online. With the breadth of Ipsos KnowledgePanel profiles, we are able to:
- target the specific survey respondents you need, so that you don’t need to waste valuable time in your custom survey
- integrate analytic value from profile packages— this might include, but is not limited to, information about political affairs, lifestyle, media, shopping habits, financial views, technological sophistication and more
- create custom panels based on collected characteristics, behaviors and attitudes of Ipsos KnowledgePanel members, eliminating the cost of newly recruiting a panel
Ipsos expertise applied
We believe that the true value to you of working with our company lies in the knowledge of our people and having their know-how and creativity, motivation and commitment applied to your needs. KnowledgePanel alone cannot tell a story, provide actionable recommendations or create the best survey or sample design to find them either, but Ipsos’ experts can. Our team members combine and apply their industry experience and specialist knowledge to every project—so you can be assured you’ll not only receive the best survey/sample design but the best insight on which to act too.
Understanding the public sector
Ipsos KnowledgePanel is the trusted source of relevant public opinion information that enables its clients to make smarter decisions. Our experts combine their passion with Ipsos’ long-standing data science experience. This allows us to deliver vital global insights matched with local intelligence from more than 100 countries. By using innovative technologies and data sciences, we turn big data into smart data, enabling its clients to address critical concerns in public policy, health policy and services, epidemiology, environmental protection, political science, sociology, social psychology, and many other fields.