In response to a plan to develop a state backed indemnity scheme for general practice in England; Ipsos MORI were commissioned by the Department for Health and Social Care (DHSC) to deliver a survey of GPs, Nurses and Pharmacists in General Practice. The survey was designed to help the department understand current indemnity arrangements within General Practice, informing the development of the new state backed scheme.
To date there has been little information publicly available regarding the cost of indemnity cover and what is included within this cover.
The aim of this survey was to gain a broad understanding of these issues and to explore the following objectives:
- What types of indemnity cover is currently held by primary care professionals?
- How is this indemnity cover held? E.g. at an individual or practice level?
- The current cost of indemnity cover and the number of clinical sessions that it covers?
- Who are the current indemnity providers and the types of contact healthcare professionals have with them?
- Current views on indemnity cover and confidence in cover?
A link to the full report can be found below.