AMERICANS LOOK TO GOVERNMENT FOR ASSURANCE ON SAFETY OF U.S. MAIL

Less Than Half (46%) Very Confident That The Mail They Receive At Home Today Is Safe And Free From Anthrax Contamination Majority (80%) Would Feel More Confidence If Government Officials, Such As Post Master General, Secretary Of Homeland Security, Or Head of Center For Disease Control Announced A Process To Make Mail Safer Majority (71%) Would Have More Confidence If Congress Appropriates Additional Funds To Increase Mail Safety

AMERICANS LOOK TO GOVERNMENT FOR ASSURANCE ON SAFETY OF U.S. MAIL

These are the findings of an Ipsos-Reid/Dittus Communications/Mailing & Fulfillment Association poll conducted between November 2nd and November 4th, 2001 . The poll is based on a randomly selected sample of 1000 adult Americans. With a sample of this size, the results are considered accurate to within 177 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, of what they would have been had the entire adult U.S. population been polled. The margin of error will be larger within regions and for other sub-groupings sof the survey population. These data were statistically weighted to ensure the sample's regional and age/sex composition reflects that of the actual U.S. population according to the most recent Census data. Washington, DC - According to an Ipsos-Reid/ Dittus Communications/ Mailing & Fulfillment Association poll released today, only 46% of Americans are "very confident" that the mail they receive at home today is safe and free from anthrax contamination. On the other hand, 54%express less confidence in the state of their mail (42% say they are "somewhat confident", 8% say "not too confident", 4% say "not at all confident", and 1% say they are not sure). When asked what would give them confidence in making mail safer, 80% of Americans would have more confidence in the safety of mail if government officials such as the Post Master General, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or the head of the Center for Disease Control announced that there is a process is in place to make the mail safer. In addition, 71% would have more confidence in the safety of mail if Congress appropriated additional funds to increase mail safety. The poll results also show that most Americans (90%) say they have been following the news of anthrax being found in certain U.S. postal facilities closely, and about half of all adults (46%) say they have been following the story "very closely."

More insights about Public Sector

Society