Washington, DC, November 02, 2020 – With Election Day tomorrow and over 97 million votes already cast, the final pre-election Reuters/Ipsos Core Political survey shows that Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden maintains his lead over President Donald Trump in the race for the White House. President Trump’s approval rating remains stable. Most Americans believe the country is heading down the wrong path. The economy and jobs, healthcare, and coronavirus continue to be the top issues facing the country.
In the final week before the election, Reuters/Ipsos asked the remaining undecided voters who they would choose if they had to pick a presidential candidate, and, among likely voters Biden (52%) maintains his edge over Trump (45%).
- Taken together, this may indicate that late undecided voters may slightly favor Trump, but not enough to put Trump in the lead at the national level.
- When undecided voters are not forced to choose between the two candidates, Biden (52%) has an eight percentage point advantage over Trump (44%).
Forty-one percent of Americans approve of the job Trump is doing as president.
- Republican registered voters continue to overwhelmingly support how Trump is handling the presidency (87%). Democratic registered voters remain extremely critical of the president, with just seven percent approving of his performance.
Six in ten Americans believe the country is heading off on the wrong track (61%), and just 27% say the nation is going in the right direction.
- Republican registered voters (59%) are much more optimistic about the direction of the country than Democratic registered voters (8%).
One-third of Americans say the economy and jobs are the main problems facing the country (30%). Twenty-two percent believe the biggest problem is healthcare; another 18% volunteer issues like coronavirus and the Trump administration.
- When it comes to the main issues facing the country, Republican registered voters are more focused on the economy (35%) as the most important issue than Democratic registered voters (24%).
- Healthcare (31%) and other issues (21%), like coronavirus, are top concerns for Democratic registered voters. Just 15% of Republican registered voters believe healthcare is the most significant problem, while 14% say it is other issues, like coronavirus.
About the Study
These are some of the findings of an Ipsos poll conducted between October 29-November 2, 2020 on behalf of Thomson Reuters. For this survey, a sample of 1,333 Americans age 18+ from the continental U.S., Alaska, and Hawaii were interviewed online in English. The sample includes 1,146 registered voters, 489 Democratic registered voters, 490 Republican registered voters, 121 independent registered voters and 825 likely voters. Weighting was then employed to balance demographics to ensure that the sample's composition reflects that of the adult population according to Census data and to provide results intended to approximate the sample universe. The precision of Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. In this case, the poll is accurate to within ± 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, had all Americans been polled. The credibility interval will be wider among subsets of the population. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error, and measurement error. The poll also has a credibility interval of ± 3.3 percentage points for all registered voters, ± 5.1 percentage points for Democratic registered voters, ± 5.0 percentage points for Republican registered voters, ± 10.2 percentage points for independent registered voters, and ± 3.7 percentage points for likely voters.
For more information on this news release, please contact:
Senior Vice President, US
+1 202 420-2025
Media Relations, US
+1 718 755-8829
Ipsos is the world’s third largest market research company, present in 90 markets and employing more than 18,000 people.
Our passionately curious research professionals, analysts and scientists have built unique multi-specialist capabilities that provide true understanding and powerful insights into the actions, opinions and motivations of citizens, consumers, patients, customers or employees. We serve more than 5,000 clients across the world with 75 business solutions.
Founded in France in 1975, Ipsos is listed on the Euronext Paris since July 1st, 1999. The company is part of the SBF 120 and the Mid-60 index and is eligible for the Deferred Settlement Service (SRD).
ISIN code FR0000073298, Reuters ISOS.PA, Bloomberg IPS:FP www.ipsos.com