New York, NY - Most of the 35 million plus low carb converts in the U.S. are missing out on the party, according to a new study conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs. The survey, which measured the public's knowledge about the carb count of popular beverage alcohol options, found that 63% of people incorrectly believe that wine and beer are lower in carbs than spirits like vodka, tequila, gin and scotch whisky. Spirits such as SMIRNOFF174, JOSE CUERVO174, CROWN ROYAL174, JOHNNIE WALKER174, and TANQUERAY174 have zero carbs per serving, a fact of which low carb watchers are clearly unaware.
- Within the spirits category, 55% of people believe that tequila is high/medium in carbs, despite the fact that it has zero carbs per ounce.
- 52% of people believe that vodka is high/medium in carbs, despite the fact that it has zero carbs per ounce.
- When asked to rank which beverage options were lowest in carbs - given the choice between a regular soda, fruit juice or spirits - 67% of people incorrectly chose fruit juice and soda.
- With the low carb lifestyle growing in popularity, 58% of would-be hosts and hostesses would consider providing low carb food and beverages at their low carb party.
- Vodka, gin, tequila and whiskey - zero carbs per 1.5-ounce serving.
- *Wine - One gram of carbs per 3.5-ounce serving.
- *Beer - 13 grams of carbs per 12-ounce serving of regular beer and 2.6 grams per 12-ounce serving of low carb beer.
- *Soda - 38.5 grams of carbs per 12-ounce serving.
- *Fruit Juice - average of 25 grams of carbs per 8-ounce serving.