Ipsos conducted the 5G survey in 23 European countries for ETNO (European Telecommunications Network Operators’ association). 5G is a groundbreaking technology with a lot of potential in cellular communication and is currently rolled out in multiple markets across Europe. 5G deployment however leads to concerns, controversy and even strong resistance among some citizens in Europe. The survey gives a real and unbiased picture of the current opinion towards 5G.
The main conclusions of the survey are:
- 5G awareness is high, but real understanding of 5G is low
- Attitude towards 5G is generally positive, yet 10% is negative
- The majority of Europeans aren’t confident enough to completely rule out 5G myths
- A third of citizens already think 5G will lead to price increases
- Communication from government & telecom operators benefits from a high level of trust in the source for information about 5G
- Lack of information or being informed leads to less positive attitudes towards 5G
- European citizens see mainly faster internet with more capacity as advantages of 5G.
US Affluents and smart home technology
As more and more consumers embrace innovations such as smart home speakers and appliances, it's clear the concept of connected or smart homes has finally entered the mainstream. In fact, in the US, 60% of Smart Home Affluencers are more interested in smart home technology than they were two years ago.