Physical distancing brought on by COVID-19 has greatly disrupted the channels of communication between healthcare professionals and pharmaceutical manufacturers. This decreased engagement poses especially formidable obstacles for those manufacturers preparing for a product launch.
- Cancellations of medical conferences and congresses, over 55 to date, have severely limited manufacturers’ ability to disseminate information. Without these events, the importance of revisiting your marketing strategy and promotional mix becomes paramount.
- Physicians have also severely limited their availability to sales reps during the current crisis, with Ipsos’ research showing over a third (38%) who were seeing reps prior to the pandemic are currently accepting zero reps.
- Additionally, COVID-19 has meaningfully altered the patient load at most practices. Physicians report that they are seeing 50-70% fewer patient visits and 75% of practices have decided to postpone all “non-essential” appointments.
- Constricted focus on COVID-related visits has shifted the conversations physicians are having with pharmaceutical manufacturers, requiring a novel value proposition and marketing strategy to break through.
These conditions will be especially challenging for those 13 novel assets approved since the beginning of 2020, as well as those awaiting regulatory decisions. The key question now is how can these brands adapt their launch plans and successfully emerge from this crisis with an on-track trajectory?
Success in the face of COVID-19 requires a divorce from traditional norms and an expansion of novel and innovative strategic operations.
This white paper illustrates the critical thinking that is essential to maintain a well-informed and strategically adaptive launch plan, during this unprecedented time in the market
Key considerations to help you to evaluate and adapt your launch strategy, to better succeed in the current market climate include:
- Access to and communication with HCPs
- Risk assessment and scenario planning
- Milestone and forecast adjustments
To take you further along your journey, we would welcome the opportunity to discuss a tailored approach to help you evaluate and adapt your launch strategy. Explore our rapid review approach and reach out to your Ipsos account manager or James McDermott, SVP, Advisory Services
[EVENT] Approaches for Impulse and Considered Purchases @ARF NxNE
June 15-19 - The Advertising Research Foundation is hosted a week-long virtual conference featuring experts from brands, creative agencies and academia who will share insights to help marketers influence behavior, build brands and navigate the new normal.