Although the electric vehicle (EV) has been around for over 100 years, early solutions were not very popular or very practical and had limited capabilities.
At long last we are seeing strong momentum in the attention and investment by many key OEMs to produce EVs. As such, we anticipate BEVs will be more than a niche market by 2020.
However, for consumer acceptance to grow, OEMs will need to pay close attention to the consumers’ needs in each market and ensure they are building vehicles that meet and exceed those needs.
In this paper, we share the results of interviews with more than 130,000 consumers from around the world to understand:
- current consumer behavior regarding combustion engines and EVs;
- familiarity and purchase consideration with different types of vehicles;
- the benefits of and barriers to owning and driving EVs;
- who is most interested in EVs; and
- the most trusted partners to offer EVs and mobility services.
This is the second in a three-part series on future mobility. Please take a moment to download the first paper, On The Road to Driverless Cars.
We explore the topic of Mobility further in our special edition of WTF.