New York, NY and Menlo Park, CA, August 31, 2021 — A recent Ipsos poll finds that prospective patients are very interested in Galleri™, a multi-cancer early detection test offered by GRAIL. The survey results also suggested that the Galleri™ test could positively impact patients’ perceptions of Health Systems that offer Galleri™ as part of their routine annual preventative care to patients, and that patients would be more likely to keep up with preventive cancer screenings. As a result, Galleri™ could potentially help Health Systems attract new patients.
1. When shown a blinded description of the Galleri™ test (see methodology for details), patients want and are interested in the test:
- Most (83%) patients have a somewhat/very positive impression of Galleri™
- Two-thirds (65%) would request Galleri™ from their PCP within 6 months of its commercial availability
- In terms of initial reactions, a sample of verbatim answers written by respondents include:
- "Would be nice to have something that would screen without invasive procedure. Would relieve stress”
- “This is very appealing. As someone who tries to be proactive and always have preventative screenings, I would do this test. Also having a family history of cancer makes this helpful.”
2. Most patients (64%) select “convenient location” as an important factor in choosing a new health system, followed closely by “access to latest advancements in screening & diagnostic tests” (53%) and “health systems that utilize modern technology” (43%).
3. After exposure to the blinded the Galleri™ test profile, offering Galleri™ is highly valued by many patients when selecting a new PCP, as advancements in screening/diagnostics (76%) and modern technology (64%) came out as the top 2 most important factors.
4. Access to the Galleri™ test would also impact the majority of patients (77%) in their search for a new PCP (assuming they were required to switch PCP due to a move to a new region), and 62% indicated they would consider travelling farther than they currently do to see their PCP in order to get Galleri™.
5. The Galleri™ test could also positively impact a health system’s reputation, as 60% of patients indicated it would change their perception of that health system if it began offering Galleri™ at no cost. These perceptual changes included:
- 88% who said the health system was innovative
- 85% who said it showed the health system prioritized patients health and wellness
- 84% who said the health system offered cutting-edge medical care
- 83% who said the health system demonstrated that the health system really cared about their patients
- 80% who said the health system demonstrated offering high quality care
6. The Galleri™ test may also increase adherence with other preventative services, as 80% of patients who currently do not routinely get annual physicals indicated they would be more likely to, and 81% of those who currently skip preventative cancer screenings would be more likely to keep up with them (if Galleri™ were offered at same time and location).
About the Study - Ipsos Health Systems Market Research for GRAIL
Conducted by Ipsos using M360 Research’s https://www.m360research.com/ proprietary panel and two other partner panels (Paradigm Sample https://corporate.paradigmsample.com/ and CINT https://www.cint.com/).
A survey of the American general population (ages 50+) and high risk* population (35-49)
Interview dates: April 14 – 27, 2021
Number of interviews: 1001
Number of participants aged 50 or older: 851
Number of participants aged 35-49 and considered high-risk*: 150
* defined as individuals who have autoimmune disease, personally have or have had cancer, have a family history of cancer, and/or are current smokers.
All participants were screened to ensure they:
- currently were covered via private or commercial health insurance, or Medicare, and/or Medicare Advantage.
- must have seen a PCP in the past two years
Margin of error: +/- 3.1 percentage points at the 95% confidence level
In our reporting of the findings, percentage points are rounded off to the nearest whole number. As a result, percentages in a given table column may total slightly higher or lower than 100%. In questions that permit multiple responses, columns may total substantially more than 100%, depending on the number of different responses offered by each respondent.
NOTE: All results show percentages among all respondents, unless otherwise labeled.
Ipsos is the world’s third largest Insights and Analytics company, present in 90 markets and employing more than 18,000 people.
Our passionately curious research professionals, analysts and scientists have built unique multi-specialist capabilities that provide true understanding and powerful insights into the actions, opinions and motivations of citizens, consumers, patients, customers or employees. We serve more than 5000 clients across the world with 75 business solutions.
Founded in France in 1975, Ipsos is listed on the Euronext Paris since July 1st, 1999. The company is part of the SBF 120 and the Mid-60 index and is eligible for the Deferred Settlement Service (SRD).
ISIN code FR0000073298, Reuters ISOS.PA, Bloomberg IPS:FP www.ipsos.com
Federal Committee on Statistical Methodology (FCSM) Conference
The 2021 FCSM Research and Policy Conference will focus on Trust as the Cornerstone of Federal Statistics and Evidence Building, and the role of the Federal Statistical System in data collection and outcomes research that supports evidence-based policy making.