The technology review explored the current use and effectiveness of digital technology in adult social care (ASC), the barriers and enablers to accessing and supplying digital technology, and the potential for future use of digital technology. The skills review explored the digital capabilities of the adult social care workforce, including current levels of digital skills, understanding of future need, and current provision and outcomes of learning and development.
- See our blog for Research in Practice about the research and how the NHS Transformation Directorate have been using the findings.
Findings from both reviews have been published in one
Case studies were
- Connecting health and social care records
- Costed support planning grid
- Digital care advisors
- Digital learning hub for social care
- Digital prescribing for falls prevention
- Respite care home technology
- Support to manage conditions at home
- Upskilling contact centre staff
- Using virtual reality in a care setting
- ‘What Matters Most’ app
Both reviews began with a scoping phase, which included depth interviews with stakeholders and two rapid evidence reviews
Throughout the research, an expert reference group made up of representatives from the ASC sector was consulted, ensuring the project remained focused on what would be most relevant.
A mixed methods approach was used for both reviews to ensure a comprehensive understanding of digital technology and skills in the ASC sector was captured. This included online and telephone surveys, depth interviews and focus group discussions. The following groups were included in the research: adults with care and support needs, unpaid carers, members of the ASC workforce (care workers, managers, social workers, occupational therapists, nurses and others), care providers, local authorities, technology and service suppliers, and learning and development providers.
- Summary Main report
- Technology review infographic Skills review infographic
- Technology review - Technology suppliers data tables Technology review - Care providers data tables
- Local Authorities data tables Skills review - Workforce survey data tables (All)
- Skills review - Workforce survey data tables (Registered Managers) Skills review - Workforce survey data tables (Non-Registered Managers)
- Download full report (ZIP) | 91MB