Twenty-two days out from the election and the presidential transition is finally in motion, even if Trump has not verbalized those few words of contrition.
In the meantime, our COVID world has also surged back with a vengeance. Montgomery County, MD, where I live, has just mandated mask use everywhere and anywhere, inside and outside. We are so close to a solution, yet so far.
I am a bit early on my note this week. But I wanted to get it in before Thanksgiving. To that, I wish all a relaxing holiday weekend. Below I detail the most relevant data of the week.
- Surging virus, surging anxiety. We now have over 12.6 million confirmed cases in the US and nearly 260,000 deaths from the virus. Many locales are reintroducing restrictions on activity and business. Americans see the risk out there too. Look at the data. Things will likely get worse before they get better.
- Downsizing Thanksgiving. Our COVID-19 world conditions our behavior. Risk-averse Americans are adjusting their Thanksgiving plans. Still spending time with family – but maybe not with the entire family this year.
- Travel less, but still travel. Many, however, still are out and about for Thanksgiving. Look at the data from our Biosurveillance Atlas. Much less social distancing and much more travel. TSA screened more than 2 million flyers last Friday and Saturday alone.
- Vaccine efficacy. Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca have all announced that they are close to an operational vaccine. With this good news, more Americans say they are likely to take a vaccine than even a month ago. But the proof is really in the pudding. Americans are in if the vaccine is efficacious.
- The tale of two presidents. We have two presidents right now – one sitting, the other elect. Trump has lost steam even since the election. Biden goes in with strong numbers. Out with the old, in with the new.
For a synthesis of the above, please listen to today's chat with Tim Farley. Again, try to turn off over the next few days. And as always, be safe and be sane.
For more information, please contact:
+1 202 420-2016
For more information on COVID-19 please click here
Ipsos is now the third largest market research company in the world, present in 90 markets and employing more than 18,000 people.
Our research professionals, analysts and scientists have built unique multi-specialist capabilities that provide powerful insights into the actions, opinions and motivations of citizens, consumers, patients, customers or employees. Our 75 business solutions are based on primary data coming from our surveys, social media monitoring, and qualitative or observational techniques.
“Game Changers” — our tagline — summarizes our ambition to help our 5,000 clients to navigate more easily our deeply changing world.
Founded in France in 1975, Ipsos is listed on the Euronext Paris since July 1st, 1999. The company is part of the SBF 120 and the Mid-60 index and is eligible for the Deferred Settlement Service (SRD).
ISIN code FR0000073298, Reuters ISOS.PA, Bloomberg IPS:FP