In its fourth year, the annual survey found:
- 20% are a current smoker, with 17% of them being daily smokers. This has fallen from 23% in 2015.
- 37% of drinkers say they drink six or more standard drinks (binge drinking) on a typical drinking occasion.
- Over a third (37%) report they consumer at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.
- A gender gap in self-reported good health exists among those aged 55 to 64. 81% of women in this age group perceive their health to be good or very good, compared to 73% of men.
- 47% have visited a dentist during the past 12 months, with 65% of those visiting doing so for a check-up.
- 74% have visited a GP in the past 12 months, with an average of 3.8 visits per person among all aged 15 and older.
YouthView: Understanding risk behaviours for meningitis among young people
While meningococcal meningitis is relatively uncommon, it is unpredictable, may progress very rapidly and can lead to death in as little as 24 hours of first symptoms.<sup>1,2</sup>
According to one study, the bacteria that can cause the disease are carried asymptomatically in the nasopharynx of up to almost one in four (24%) 19-year-olds; although for most it will not cause the disease.<sup>3</sup>
Oncology: The Disease, The Dynamics & The Complexities (2018)
Cancer is one term that encompasses many different diseases. There is no one cause of cancer, nor is there a single treatment protocol. Incidence and prevalence rates differ globally, treatment is managed by numerous physician specialties and our ever-evolving understanding of the disease makes it challenging to remain current…